In 1874 the The New Brunswick parliament appropriated funds for a lighthouse at Beaver Harbour, Charlotte County, to guide vessels into Beaver Harbour, which was frequently resorted to as a harbour of refuge. A site at Lighthouse Point on Drews Head, just south of the harbour, was purchased from Lewis Holmes at a cost of $100.
Messrs. W. B. Deacon and John Ward of Shediac built the lighthouse, which consisted of a square, wooden tower, attached to a dwelling, under a contract for $1,650. The lighthouse tower measured thirty-six feet high from base to vane, and its fixed white light was exhibited at a height of forty-five feet above high water.
Ezra Munro was appointed the first keeper of Drews Head Lighthouse at an annual salary of $250, and he made the inaugural lighting of the tower’s lamps on January 15, 1876.
Munro cleared the lighthouse property and built a small wharf for landing supplies. In 1892 David Eldridge was paid $30 for making sixty-three rods (300 metres) of road from the lighthouse to the public road. In 1900, a hand foghorn was supplied to Keeper John C. Conley to be used whenever the fog signals of vessels in the vicinity of the stations were heard.
A seventh-order lens and lamp were substituted for the antiquated lamps and reflectors in 1905. The new lamp burned petroleum vapour under an incandescent mantle to produce a fixed white light that could be seen ten miles. In 1915, a fourth-order lamp was installed in the lantern room.
The original combination dwelling and tower at Drews Head was replaced by a skeletal tower in the late 1960s, and the present fibreglass tower in 1984.
and now you know.