The Cornwallis Inn in Kentville began as the Aberdeen Hotel, a wooden second empire style hotel built in 1892 behind the Kentville Station. It was purchased by the Dominion Atlantic Railway in 1919, renovated, landscaped, and renamed the Cornwallis Inn.
In 1930 the Cornwallis Inn was demolished and replaced by a larger Cornwallis Inn on Main Street. It opened on December 9, 1930 after a construction period of two hundred and eight days.
The Cornwallis Inn was considered one of the most architecturally beautiful hotels in Canada. It contained ninety guest rooms (including four luxury suites) and ten sample rooms for commercial travellers. The hotel had a head porter, bell boys, maitre d’hote, accounting department, chef, maid service, full kitchen and dining-room staff, clerks, stationary engineers and drivers.
In 1963 the well-kept flower beds, shade trees, shrubbery, and walks were removed to accommodate retail shops. In 1973 the Cornwallis Inn shut down, and remained closed until until extensive renovations were completed in 1976.
Extensive renovations are currently underway to restore the main hotel level to it’s former glory.
The hotel is also home to Maritime Express Cider, a cidery and taproom with a wonderful atmosphere.