In 1903 the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association purchased 3.5 acres of land at Harling Point and established the Chinese Cemetery. The cemetery was traditionally used as a temporary repose before final interment in China, a pattern which reflected the desires of early immigrants to return to their homeland.
Looking out over the Juan de Fuca Strait towards the Olympic Mountains.
After the Sino-Japanese war broke out in 1937, it was no longer possible to ship remains back to China. In 1961, bones of 849 Chinese pioneers whose return to China had been blocked since 1937 were finally laid to rest at Harling Point.
While burials on the site ended in 1961, the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association continues to own and maintain the site. In 1994 the Chinese Cemetery at Harling Point was designated a National Historic Site by the Government of Canada.