Formerly named the Haidi, the 100 ton drum seiner Emil-K was built in 1941 by Star Shipyards in New Westminster, British Columbia.
Emil-K in Campbell River
Star Shipyards was started in 1908 by Edward Mercer, a Newfoundlander, and his wife, who cleared the lot at 61 Duncan Avenue in Queensborough, a part of New Westminster that extends onto Lulu Island. The yard was taken over by their sons, Arthur and Gordon Mercer, in the early 1930s. The yard was sold in 1971 but closed again in 1973. It was then acquired by Benson Bros., whose shipyard in Coal Harbour was to be acquired for the redevelopment of that neighbourhood, and continued as Benson Star Shipyard until closing again in 1984. The site at the eastern tip of Lulu Island is still a shipyard, now called Fraser Shipyard & Industrial Centre.
The Emil-K alongside in Campbell River