The Margaretsville Lighthouse was built in 1859 as the town was an important transportation hub, being connected to Saint John by steamship and to various parts of Nova Scotia by rail.
The lighthouse, a square wooden tower with sloping sides, was built in the common pepper-shaker style and stands 9.4 meters high with a wide black horizontal stripe. The black stripe is the only such day mark in all of Nova Scotia.
1963, electricity replaced the original oil lamp and the light was automated. The Canadian Coast Guard still maintains the light to help fishing vessels and large gypsum boats from Hantsport.
- Tower Height: 22 feet
- Height of Focal Plane: 30 feet
- Visible Range: 12 nautical miles
- Characteristic and Range: Flash 10 s; eclipse 3 s; flash 4 s; eclipse 3 s.