One of the barracks at the former Canadian Forces Base Cornwallis
HMCS Cornwallis began as a training facility for new entry seamen and subsequently expanded to include the Leadership Division for naval officers, and summer training for cadets in the University Naval Training Divisions. Training for female Navy personnel began on 02 October 1951
In 1968 HMCS Cornwallis was designated as a Canadian Forces Base and became the home of Canadian Forces Recruit School (CFRS). CFRS provided basic training for Canadian Forces English speaking non-commissioned members.
CFB Cornwallis was located 17 km east of Digby, on the shore of the Bay of Fundy at Deep Brook. The base was closed in 1994.