Fort Anne National Historic Site – Canada’s first administered National Historic Site
Although Fort Anne was neither the first National Historic Park (Fort Howe was designated three years earlier), nor is it the first site designated under the replacement National Historic Site program, it is nonetheless sometimes referred to as Canada’s “first national historic site” or the “first administered national historic site”, because it was the first site acquired by the federal government for national historic purposes that has subsequently remained under Parks Canada administration.
The site has been fortified since 1629, when the Scots came to colonize Nova Scotia (New Scotland) and built Charles Fort. The region was reverted to French control in the 1630s and Charles de Menou d’Aulnay began work on the first of four forts on the same site, then known as Port Royal. In 1702, the French began construction of the current Vauban earthwork that is found there today
The battery overlooking the Annapolis Basin and the banks of the Annapolis River