The Windsor and Hantsport Railway is a 90.1 km railway line between Windsor Junction and New Minas with a spur at Windsor which runs several miles east, that served gypsum quarries located at Wentworth Creek and Mantua. It suspended operations in 2011.
The mainline and related spurs were formerly owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway subsidiary Dominion Atlantic Railway from 1894-1994 before being sold to the shortline holding company Iron Road Railways. The Windsor and Hantsport Railway began operations on Saturday, August 27, 1994, making it Nova Scotia’s second shortline railway after Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Railway, which was formed one year earlier.
Upper Water Street overpass over Windsor & Hantsport Railway Company tracks
The track is still in place, and gypsum cars can be seen from the highway, sitting on the tracks waiting for a potential reopening of the gypsum mines.