Built in 1873, the 9.4 meters tall Walton Lighthouse is the last original lighthouse in Hants County. It was once the brightest light on the Minas Basin in the upper Bay of Fundy, guiding ships into Walton Harbour where pulpwood, gypsum and barite were loaded. Walton Harbour was the busiest port in Nova Scotia in the 1950’s.
When shipping into Walton Harbour declined in the 1970s, the lighthouse was decommissioned, and after standing vacant for nearly two decades the lighthouse was slated for demolition by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
Under the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act, federally owned lighthouse properties can be transferred to new owners wishing to take advantage of their heritage designation or tourism potential. In 1991 the Municipality of East Hants acquired the Walton Lighthouse. Subsequently, on August 12, 1992, Walton Lighthouse received Municipal Heritage Property designation, and on April 12, 2012, the Walton Lighthouse received Provincial Heritage Property status.
- Built in 1873 by Timothy Parker who became the first lightkeeper at Walton
- Cost to build: $620
- Initial light source: 2 flat-wick lamps with 18-inch reflectors and 2 lamps with 12-inch reflectors
- In 1986 the light was converted to an automatic system with an electronic flash
- In 1999 a gas light matching the original was installed
- Lighthouse pattern: visible 10 seconds and dark 3 seconds then visible 4 seconds and dark 3 seconds