In 1851, Rev. Robert Stewart came from Ireland to the community of Wilmot and Melvern Square, preaching in the local schoolhouse. In 1853-54 the Covenanter Congregation was officially organized and David Cruikshanks and Daniel Morrison were named elders.
The church building was completed in 1855. In 1878, Rev. Stewart while keeping his home in Melvern Square, travelled to the United States and joined the Presbyterian Church. In 1892 he rejoined the Covenanter Church and returned to Melvern Square. His home congregation would not stay Covenanters much longer and they joined the Presbyterian Church of Canada in 1893. The Presbyterians in this part of the valley were eventually absorbed into other congregations and the Covenanter Church was no longer in use.
The little white church became part of the Melvern Square Cemetery Company and in 1976 it was renamed the Church Grove Cemetery Company.