Acadia Cinema’s Al Whittle Theatre
The Acadia Cinema began in 1911 when Marshall and Ellouise Black established an Opera House on the back of the existing T.E. Hutchinson building.
Renamed, refurbished and rebuilt over the years, it became the Orpheum Theatre (1923), the Acadia Theatre (1947), Acadia Twin Cinemas (1986) and finally the Acadia Cinemas (a tri-plex, 1997). In 2000, the Acadia Cinema closed when Al Whittle, manager of 47 years, retired.
The Acadia Cinema Cooperative Ltd opened the doors of the Al Whittle Theatre with an anchor-tenant Fundy Film Society screening on November 7, 2004.