In 1951 George William Dorman and his brother Fred opened their Brechin sawmill at Departure Bay near the B.C. Ferry terminal in 1951. In 1957 George started a small chipper mill on Stewart Avenue, a neighbouring property owned by one of his friends. When a fire consumed the Brechin sawmill burned down in 1958, George expanded the chipper mill it to a full scale sawmill. The mill operated until 1985.
The Dorman mill is long gone, but it’s not the only visible change in Departure Bay – the BC Ferries terminal has evolved and expanded over the years.
Before the BC Ferry Corporation took over services, Departure Bay was served by the Black Ball Ferries Kahloke and Chinook. On June 15, 1960 B.C. Ferry Corporation ran its first ferry from Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay
Black Ball ferry MV Chinook II at Departure Bay.
Above, the Black Ball ferry Kahloke at Departure Bay in the 50’s at a dock that still sits in the exact same location and is Berth #2 in the current configuration of Departure Bay terminal.
Departure Bay terminal in 1979
Although we call the ferry terminal the Departure Bay Terminal, it and the sawmill site are located at the bottom of Brechin Hill.
and now you know…