Fisgard Light National Historic Site
The 14.6 m (48 ft) Fisgard Light was built by the British in 1860 as a beacon for the British Royal Navy’s Pacific Squadron. It was named after HMS Fisgard, a British Navy ship that spent time in the Pacific. Today Fisgard marks home for the Royal Canadian Navy in Esquimalt harbour.
The light was first illuminated on 16 November 1860, and was automated in 1929. In the early 1940s, the acetylene lamp in Fisgard’s tower was replaced by a battery-powered electric light. In 1950-51, the causeway was built out to Fisgard Island from the foreshore at Fort Rodd Hill by the Canadian Army.