North Island Princess heading into BC Ferries Westview terminal in Powell River
The North Island Princess was launched as the Island Princess in 1958 operating under the Coast Ferries flag. She was bought by BC Ferries in 1969, along with the Mill Bay. In 1971, the Island Princess was lengthened, and the hull split, making her a catamaran, and increasing the vehicle capacity by 19.
From 1977 to 1985, the vessel was operated by the Ministry of Transportation’s Marine Department on the Texada Island run, which she continues to do to this day on BC Ferries Route 18 – Malaspina Strait: Powell River to Texada Island (via Blubber Bay).
- Year Built: 1958, Allied Builders, Victoria
- Year Rebuilt: 1971
- Gross Tonnage (t): 839.00
- Net Tonnage (t): 251.00
- Vessel Length (m): 51.55
- Vessel Breadth (m): 17.37
- Vessel Depth (m): 4.05
- Engines: 2 x Diesel, 920 Kilowatts (1,350 Horsepower)
- Speed (knots): 12.0
- Propulsion Method: Twin Screw
- Crew: 7
- Passengers: 143
- Car Capacity: 49