Looking toward James Bay, Esquimalt, and downtown Victoria
Adjacent to Work Point in Esquimalt, McLoughlin Point is a relatively unknown area, largely due to it’s military and industrial heritage. The point is surrounded by DND property, and until fairly recently, the area was home to a petroleum storage facility serviced by both marine and vehicle transport. It is currently the only parcel of land in the Capital Region that is zoned for a sewage treatment facility.
Looking toward Ogden Point
McLoughlin Point was home to a searchlight position (two lights in separate concrete emplacements) that supported the nearby coastal gun battery at Golf Hill from 1940 – 1944. The two searchlight emplacements still exist – while there is no public access, they can be viewed at close range from adjacent public land.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Victoria and Esquimalt Harbors, the Golf Hill coastal gun battery was equipped with two 12-pounder quick-firing (QF) MK1 AMTB guns on MK1 mounts. The guns transferred from Black Rock Battery in 1940.