St Ann’s Catholic Church and Cemetery
Father Pierre Rondeault established a mission to the Cowichan Indians in 1858. In 1870 he built the old stone “Butter Church” on Comiaken Hill. He was forced to abandon that church in 1890 and built St Ann’s just down the road where the diocese had clear title to the land. The original St Ann’s was destroyed by fire in 1902 and the current structure built in 1903. The oldest gravestone is marked 1891.
Father Rondeault died in 1900 after 41 years with the Cowichan and is buried beneath the small chapel at the back of St Ann’s.
The church and cemetery are located at 1775 Tzouhalem Road.